Stay Safe Before, During and After a Flood
Take steps to protect yourself, your family and your home from flooding.
Before a Flood:
- Purchase flood insurance - flooding can cause significant damage to homes and businesses. Flood insurance will protect you from the financial burden.
- Protect your possessions - Create a file containing a list of al your possessions and important documents. Store them in a waterproof container.
- Prepare your house - place the furnace, water heater, washer, dryer and any other electrical components on cement blocks. (at least 12 inches above flood elevation). Make sure the sump pump is working and also has a battery backup in case of power outages.
During a Flood:
- Go to higher ground and avoid areas subject to flooding
- Do not attempt to walk or drive through flowing streams or flooded roadways
- Listen to the direction of local officials and stay updated by following local news reports
- If you come in contact with floodwaters, wash your hands with soap and disinfected water.
After a Flood:
- If your home has suffered damage, call your insurance agent to file a claim.
- Check for structural damage before re-entering your home to avoid being trapped in a building collapse.
- Take photos of any floodwater in your home and save any damaged personal property.
- Make a list of damaged or lost items and include their purchase date and value with receipts, and place with the inventory you took prior to the flood. Some damaged items may require disposal, so keep photographs of these items.
- Keep power off until an electrician has inspected your system for safety.
- Boil water for drinking and food preparation until authorities tell you that your water supply is safe.
- Prevent further damage by calling the professionals at SERVPRO of Clifton to remediate and restore your home
SERVPRO of Clifton ~ 973-928-3705