Spring Home and Safety Checklist
SPRING AHEAD WITH THESE HOME SAFETY & MAINTENANCE TIPS
The cold winter months are finally behind us and we are ready for the warmer Spring days, but is your home prepared? Following a home maintenance plan can help prevent potential problems before they occur.
- Check your electrical outlets for potential fire hazards such as frayed wires or loose-fitting plugs. Make sure outlets, fuse boxes and extension cords are not overloaded.
- Move your multi-purpose fire extinguisher to an accessible place, and make sure it is filled and ready for operation. Have your air-conditioning system inspected by a professional as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Check your water heater for leaks and corrosion
- Clean or replace your furnace filter
- Clean the clothes dryer exhaust duct and space under the dryer. Remove all lint, dust, and pieces of material.
- Inspect your smoke detectors. Make sure there is one on each floor of your home. Test them monthly, and change the batteries annually or as needed.
- Check the light bulbs in all your fixtures. Be sure they are the correct wattage as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Replace all high-intensity bulbs with fluorescent bulbs. Other types of bulbs, like incandescent, produce more heat than fluorescent bulbs.
- Deep-Clean carpets, vacuum thoroughly and have them professionally steam cleaned and deodorized.
- Check for damage to your roof.
- Remove dead trees in your yard
- Keep healthy trees and bushes trimmed and away from utility wires.
- Safely store oil and gas for lawn equipment and tools in a vented, locked area.
- Repair cracked, broken or uneven driveways and walkways to provide a level walking surface.
- Have your sprinkler system serviced
- Examine the exterior of the chimney for signs of damage. Have the flue cleaned and inspected by a certified chimney sweep.
- Check for loose or leaky gutters and clean out winter debris. Improper drainage can lead to water in the basement or crawlspace.
SERVPRO of Clifton